Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Today I am writing to inform you of new pictures on the .Mac Homepage (the first link in our links column at the right). "Images of Indonesia" is a miscelaneous collection of pictures that illustrate some of general atmosphere of Manado. The abundance of churches (often covered in tile and ever expanding as money is donated for construction), and the seemingly spontaneous parades in support of political parties, and yes, Indonesian Idol are all part of our daily lives here. By popular (parental) request we have also included some photos of ourselves. The adorably cute children are Joshua and Stacie, son and daughter of Sonya, our household helper. She often brings one or both with her and we enjoy them greatly.

Yesterday when I got home I found my flip-flops hidden in a bush outside the front door and the two kids giggling uncontrollably. I said "Where are my feet?!?" (because I still haven't learned the word for "shoe") which aggravated the giggling. I then picked up Joshua by his feet and carried him over to the bush dangling him over my lost shoes. He retrieved them. They make us laugh and, like most people, we need all the laughter we can get.

The Cassels are American missionaries who have been here for about 7-8 years. They are very kind and helpful to us. We are to go play soccer with the students at their missionary training institute here in Manado tommorow afternoon. Today we are on holiday from school for Hari Raya Waisak, a Muslim holiday. Though there are few Muslims in Manado, in Indonesia, if one religion gets a holiday, everyone gets the day off. Quite nice.

Matt

No comments: